RE: Modified Split DNS Question

I have a public IP, both forward and reverse dns. This is my business, not a
home account. Here's what I'm trying to do, maybe I should have explained a
little better from the start.

I have one dns server, 192.168.1.98. It's with the rest of the machines in
my main office, behind our firewall. It hosts nittanytravel.com,
buchanantravel.com, and gulliverstravel.biz. Everything is set up fine in
dns and working.

My boss was looking through the logs I have set up and saw that
ntlh.nittanytravel.com (the hostname of the server) had roughly 4000 hits so
far in October. I told him it was because all of the machines in our main
office are going out the firewall, then right back in. They're using an
external dns server. So, all of those hits are getting the ip of the router
in the logs, being 141.151.228.247. I have that ip address set up in dns
linked to all of my domains.

I then added int.nittanytravel.com and added a allow-query rule in
named.conf to only allow the internal machines to our main office to get to
this private dns. It's all in the same server, just different zones.

Even after setting all of my machines behind the firewall to use the local
dns server, they are still going outside, then back through the firewall,
getting the 141 address and showing up as ntlh.nittanytravel.com in the
logs, because that's what I have nittanytravel.com's address set to in dns.

I finally got all the machines to contact the server, placing their private
ip in the logs instead of 141.. by modifying the hosts file on each machine.
I didn't want to do this, but it works.

Problem 1: Is there a way for me to configure dns so that the machines will
talk directly to the server instead of using the hosts file?

Problem 2: Locally on the server, I can only ping either private, or public,
by modifying the search and domain lines in /etc/resolv.conf. Is there a way
that I can see both without modifying this file?

I think that's it. If anyone has any questions to help answer mine, I'll do
my best to answer them.

Thanks,
Jake