(817) 224-9400 x211
www.ycc.com
SPAMstomper Protected Email

Bill Gradwohl wrote:

>I'm trying to fix Xemacs bindings for the Shell-script major mode to make the return key automatically indent equal to the last line. Sounds simple enough.

[snip]

>I've edited my otherwise empty init.el file and tried various versions of the following, all producing errors seeming to indicate that sh-mode-map is unknown, even though its documented to exist. I'm not certain of what the error is trying to tell me.
>(define-key sh-mode-map "return" 'sh-newline-and-indent)
>(define-key sh-mode-map [return] 'sh-newline-and-indent)

You need to arrange for shell-script mode to be present before you start
using its mode-map.    This is easiest like this:

    (require 'sh-script)
    (define-key sh-mode-map [return] 'sh-newline-and-indent)

You can do this with auto-load hooks as well and it's more efficient.
However, if you're like me and you only quit XEmacs when you log out and
you only log out when someone unplugs the machine :-)  you don't need to
bother about that.

jch