Re: SMP kernel freeze on boot

--- Matthew Smith <shaggydog3@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently installed Red Hat 9 on my dual Intel PIII
> 800Mhz system.  I have an ASUS CUVX4D motherboard,
> and
> about 768mb RAM.
>
> When I select the SMP kernel on boot, part way
> through
> the process, the machine freezes.  It appears to be
> at
> different points each time, but it's around the part
> where it's detecting the CPU's.
>
> If anyone knows of a solution to this, or knows of
> any
> good web sites where I can look, please let me know.
>
> If you need any more information about my system,
> please let me know.
>
> Thanks in advance for your assistance.
>
> Cheers,
> Matt

Well looks like I managed to find a fix for this.
Turns out issuing the "noapic" kernel parameter on
boot fixes the problem.

Not sure whether this is the best fix, or whether I'll
lose anything in doing this, but it works!

If anyone knows anything about what the noapic
parameter does, please let me know.

Cheers,
Matt