mh mail monitors?

Ever since switching to RH9, I have been reading e-mail on sylpheed which is a
lightweight mailer that I sort-of have grown to tolerate. This is in the MH
format. I have previously been reading e-mail in the mbox format. I had then
been using xbuffy to monitor incoming new mail in my different folders.
Unfortunately, I have had not much luck (short of contemplating rewriting the
entire program in C) with this or the newer gbuffy to check for new mail (only)
in my mh folders. Does anyone have a recommendation on a reasonable e-mail
monitor? Was anyone able to get gbuffy to work as advertised?

Thanks and best wishes!