Re: Linuxconf Trashed RH9 Boot - Fix?

Colburn wrote:

> > What does /etc/fstab say?
>
> LABEL=/ /hdb ext3  user,owner, exec,dev,suid,rw 1 1

As Doug and Aaron already mentioned, you need to change "/hdb" into "/".
I hope that will already fix the problem.

> > Maybe an older grub got installed, which is not capable of reading
> > ext3 partitions. Try this:
> > Boot from the first Red Hat Linux CD from RHL9
> > At the boot: promt, enter "linux rescue" (without quotes)
> > ls /mnt/sysimage
>
> Nothing if I boot from the Recovery floppy.
> Using the KRUD CD#1 I see boot,dev,hdb,proc

There's "hdb" again. It should not be there, instead the content of your
root partition should show (/etc /usr /var and so on).

> > Look if every partition has been found. If so,
> > chroot /etc/sysimage
>
> I get errors on this re. no such file or directory.

Sorry, my mistake! It should be
chroot /mnt/sysimage
But you don't need to do this, I think fixing /etc/fstab will be
sufficient.

> > Check the content of /boot/grub/grub.conf
>
> Nothing using the Rescue floppy.
> Nothing using KRUD CD#1 if I select hda2 when it asks which partition
> holds the root partition, but I do get somewhere if I select hdb3:

> default=0
> timeout=10
> splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/splash.wpm.gz
> title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-14)
>     root (hd0,1)
>     kernel /vmlinux-2.4.18-14 ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
>     initrd initrd-2.4.18-14.img
> title DOS
>     rootnoverify (hd0,0)
>     chainloader +1