Re: e-mail etiquette

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 01:52:39PM -0400, Brian T. Brunner wrote:

> I've requested... and been denied.
>
> My Linux boxen have no internet privileges... the intranet is *owned* by IT/MIS, and
> they don't speak Linux, and they don't understand my problem with RTF/HTML mail.

Hmmm - and hmm - I was in a similar position when I worked at Dragon
Systems in the 90's.

Is your Groupwise email client resident in your desktop PC?
Can you telnet to the pop3 port (110) on your corporate email server?
If you can, its likely that you can use fetchmail to get your email off
their server and read it into your linux box.

As for correcting the internal format of Groupwise based emails:...
I still have a Perl fragment hanging around here - somewhere....

I can send it to you if you want.  It used to work but its probably
obsolete since groupwise formats have probably changed.

Its also the first thing I ever wrote in Perl so its even uglier than
most Perl. :-)

You could point them at :
http://www.rhil.org/docs/rhil-guide.html

And explain that all the technical email lists on the internet insist on
this format so they need to provide you with an alternate path/mechanism
to communicate with those areas of the internet.

--
Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  jkinz@xxxxxxxx
copyright 2003.  Use is restricted. Any use is an