NETDEV WATCHDOG eth0: transmit timeout

Hi,

I have what seems to be a common problem. When I try transfer a lot of
data across the network to my pcmcia ethernet card hangs. I have to reboot
in order to try and connect to the network. service network restart doesn't
help. I get the error message mentioned above in the log files. Saw a
load of links on the net about this problem. Some say that I need to
upgrade the kernel (but this didn't seem to help everyone), some say its
ACPI that's the problem and needs to be disabled.... Before I go off
shooting around in the dark trying a million different possibilities is
there any "quick fix"?

My card is a 3COM 3c59 variety. Kernel version is: 2.4.20-8 (no I haven't
upgraded yet....)

Thanks for the help.

Chas
Chas Simpson