RE: How to type German Umlauts and other special characters?

Message: 13 Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 22:52:26 +0200 From: Martin
Stricker <shugal@xxxxxx> Organization: http://martin-stricker.de/
http://www.surfo.net/ http://www.masterportal24.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.cgi To: shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx Subject: How to type German Umlauts and
other special characters? Reply-To: shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx

I'm working for a US ccompany, so I often don't have a German
keyboard available. How can I still type German Umlauts (ÄäÖöÜüß) and
other special characters (like accented characters for French names
etc.)? In Windows it's easy, I just need to know the character code
from the codepage, hold the [Alt] key and type that number on the
numeric keypad. Or I can use a small program called charmap.exe which
shows all available characters for a font. Is there anything similar
to both approaches (I need it on the console as well)?

Martin, I'm several days behind reading the list, so if 100 other people
replied before me, I apologize for adding to this.

I use GNOME and if you click on the RedHat in the panel, then on Accessories, and then Character Map, that program might fit the bill for you.

HTH,

Lanny in Colombia