Re: How to type German Umlauts and other special characters?

Stephan Matthiesen wrote:

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, 1. Oktober 2003 08:14 schrieb Bob Goodwin:

How is Multi_key used?

I found that (in my setup) is already attached to the Shift-AltGr key (the one to the right of the spacebar, don't know what it's called in other languages).

If this doesn't work, you can probably find the Multi_key by typing
xmodmap -pke | grep Multi_key

It returns something like
keycode 113 = ISO_Level3_Shift Multi_key
then you know that it is there and just have to find the key with keycode 113 (which is the AltGr, but might be different in your case). The first entry after the = is the unshifted and the second the shifted binding.

If the Mulit_key is not on your keyboard, you can bind it to a key by using xmodmap -e 'keycode 113 = ISO_Level3_Shift Multi_key'
to get the same binding to the Shift-AltGr, or perhaps
xmodmap -e 'keycode 110 = Multi_key'
This would bind the "Pause" key (110) to the Multi key. If you want another key, type xev and press the key. xev should return the keycode (and lots of other info).

I hope that helps. I don't really understand the whole stuff, but this is what I figured out when I was looking for something different (see other posting).

All the best
Stephan

Thanks Stephan, now I find that I can do < xmodmap -e 'keycode 116 = degree' > and make the useless Right-Window key print a degree ° symbol!

Thanks.

Bob Goodwin