Re: Fedora and other RH alternatives

We got rid of Oracle years ago, when we also dumped Solaris.
Oracle's documentation was a terrible, huge, but terrible.

Most non telco ISP's have small pockets and can't afford thousands of dollars per year
just for OS and software mainenance agreements. RHL was the best alternative, for
us until 8.0, when we took on new staff more familiar with FreeBSD, so we switched
to that for our servers. Much of the software development I do, has been on RHL and
I then recompile {with a couple platform fixes once in a while} for FreeBSD. Wine
does not have access to cdroms on FreeBSD and it is far more difficult to setup as a
desktop than RH. Until wine supports cdroms on FreeBSD it is not an alternative for
me, because FileMaker Pro will only install from the cdrom due to some kind of
copyright protection.

Martin Stricker wrote:

While I agree with you, you don't know about buggy crap software,
infinite arrogance and sky-high prices until you have had the "pleasure"
to deal with Oracle Corp. Their database, while very slow, at least
works, but most of their other software...

Best regards,
Martin Stricker