From: John Haxby [mailto:jch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 12:58 AM
To: shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Burn Speed to CD-R (was Re: SATA problems)

Brian T. Brunner wrote:

>This will vary with disk models:
>
>Take the number of sectors, divide by the number of (cylinders *
>heads),
>this is the number of sectors that flies under one head in one
>revolution of the disk.
>
>Factor in the spindle-speed of the disk, and you get the number of
>sectors/second that pass under one head.
>
>Since only 1 head can be read or written at a time, this is the maximum
>long-haul data transfer rate of the hard drive.

Sigh.   Would that it were that simple.   The number of sectors per
cylinder is not constant across the platter.   Modern disks have a
(nearly) constant size sector so you'll find that the outer cylinders
transfer faster than the inner cylinders.   If you can write a whole
cylinder (that is, across several platters) you'll get better transfer
rates that you will if you write on adjacent cylinders.   In other
words, a disk with a lot of platters will tend to be faster than a disk
with a single platter.

Current disk technology is somewhere around 45-50Mb/s  (my shiny new
disk is somewhere in this range).   That's sustained data rate.   This
is rather faster that ATA33 (17Mb/s) and indeed faster than ATA66
(33Mb/s).   Luckily I've got an ATA133 bus, but ATA100 would be fine
(which is what this disk actually is).

jch