Re: Edit files via ssh with gui editors

On Monday 29 September 2003 09:07 am, Brian Johnson wrote:
> I've been looking for a way to use a gui text editor to edit files on a
> remote server.
>
> Most options seem to involve a fair bit of setup at one end or both ends.

If you are using SSH then you're already done.  Just SSH to the remote server,
then issue the command for the editor you want to use.  For example, the
Gnome editor (gedit) can be invoked by typing:  gedit filename.  This assumes
that the editor of choice is installed on the server.  Unless otherwise
configured SSH will forward X to your machine for you.

Barry