Re: Choosing a machine to make a small server

mandalay@xxxxxxx wrote:

I want to run a small http (with PHP, MySQL) and ftp server at home, on a red hat 9.
In addition of handling around 1000 visits/day on the http server, exchange video and music files on the ftp, I want a machine very reliable which doesn't make too much noise and as small as possible.
Does anybody knows any machine which could satisfy these requirements ?

I believe that http://hushtechnologies.com/ have what you want. It costs about €700 (once you've got up to 256Mb memory), it's very quiet and looks very cool. You can also get it with a 2.5" disk drive which tends to make it even quieter. I don't know how reliable it is going to be, but I imagine that it would be happy left on all the time. Hush Technologies are in Germany which will make shipping easy.

I have an antique laptop (a P133 with 80Mb memory and a 10Gb disk) running RH7.3 as a server for the family and it copes just fine. It has been running continuously for ages, about a year I think.

How do admin choose a machine when they have traffic requirements ?

For small to medium servers, it's easy -- go and buy any machine that the OS is happy running on. For large servers it's slightly harder (go and buy a 1U server that the OS will run on ...) and for seriously large servers it's a Black Art.

jch