Re: LPD Port 515 Failure?

Colburn wrote:

Software. Are you running cups *and* lprng? You can only run one at a time :-) Another possible failure is that you aren't root. Try "netstat -anp | grep 515" or "/sbin/lsof -i:515" to see if something else is already using port 515.
jch

Anything here answer the question? It's Mandarin Chinese to me! (At a Bible college saying "it's Greek to me" elicits responses like
"you mean you cannot read Greek?)

Sorry, I expected perhaps a little more Linux literacy. There's nothing especially terse or esoteric in here, honest.

[root@localhost root]# netstat -anp | grep 515
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:515 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
713/xinetd

This almost centrainly means you're running CUPS -- the Commun UNIX Printing System ("rpm -qi cups" for slightly more information). "/sbin/chkconfig --list cups-lpd" should say

cups-lpd on

and "/sbin/service cups status" should say something like

cupsd (pid 3330) is running ...

These things being the case, you won't be able to start lpd since that belongs to a different printing system and you can only have one printing system at a time(*). Don't worry about it, just upgrade.

jch

(*) Unless you try very hard