Re: please help me stop annoying NETBIOS messages / packets on the PROMPT

On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 10:36:04PM +0200, Maynard Kuona wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 06:39, valeed wrote:
> > hi ,
> > I have been receiving lotsa messages on my red hat shrike i686 prompt ,
> > these messages appear even though i am not logged in on the machine
> > the message appears like this
> >
> > IN=eth0 OUT = ff:ff:ff:ff:.........(full mac address)
> > SRC= 192.9.200.11 DST=192.9.200.255 LEN= 256 TOS=0x00 TTC=128 ID=2949
> > PROTO=UDP SPT = 137  LEN=236
> >
> > the numbers that change every message are from these fields
> >
> > SRC
> > LEN
> > ID
> > SPT
> > LEN
> >
> > please tell me why these packets display on the prompt & how do i stop these
> > warnings or messages appearing on the prompt , why is this happened any
> > clue ?
> >
> > these messages have started comming recently after we added a windows 2000
> > server on the network , please tell me wht settings i have to do on linux or
> > on windows 2000 so that i dont get these annoying messages.
> >
> > I guess these are the NETBIOS packets can anyone tell me how do i stop these
> > without disturbing the network, if this is not NETBIOS than please let me
> > know wht this is & plz plz help me stop this ...i am unable to  use the
> > command mode of linux as these annoying messages just pop in.
> >

> > thanks in advance
> >
> You can try the other command prompts if it doesn't bother you too much.

Since these messages are coming out even when you are not logged in,
they have nothing to do with your command prompt.  They are "log"
messages being dumped to your console because:

	#1 - your iptables/firewall software has been configured to
             log all SMB (Microsoft server message block, or SAMBA)
	     traffic, and perhaps, (its likely), prevent any of that
	     traffic from being sent out thru your internet connection
	     to the rest ofthe world, thereby advertising the
	     availability of your hard drive to the rest of the world.
	     (Yummy, that!)

	#2   Your System logging software has been configured to dump
	     certain messages to your system console.  This is why the
	     messages appear even when you are not logged in.

	#3   When you added the MW2K system to your LAN, it started up a
	     SMB disk-sharing service and began advertising the service
	     on your LAN.

	You can reconfigure your syslog utility to not dump those
messages to the console, instead logging them to a file.

These commands:
man 8 syslogd
and
man 5 syslogd.conf
Will display the info for these commands.

> I think you get them if you use firestarter too, are you using that. You
> can just try using Ctrl+Alt+F2 or F3, up to F6. The messages shouldn't
> appear on the other terminals, if I can call them that.
>

> --

Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  jkinz@xxxxxxxx
copyright 2003.  Use is restricted. Any use is an
acceptance of the offer at http://www.kinz.org/policy.html.
Don't forget to change your password often.