Re: please help me stop annoying NETBIOS messages / packets on the PROMPT

On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 06:39, valeed wrote:
> hi ,
> I have been receiving lotsa messages on my red hat shrike i686 prompt ,
> these messages appear even though i am not logged in on the machine
> the message appears like this
>
> IN=eth0 OUT = ff:ff:ff:ff:.........(full mac address)
> SRC= 192.9.200.11 DST=192.9.200.255 LEN= 256 TOS=0x00 TTC=128 ID=2949
> PROTO=UDP SPT = 137  LEN=236
>
> the numbers that change every message are from these fields
>
> SRC
> LEN
> ID
> SPT
> LEN
>
> please tell me why these packets display on the prompt & how do i stop these
> warnings or messages appearing on the prompt , why is this happened any
> clue ?
>
> these messages have started comming recently after we added a windows 2000
> server on the network , please tell me wht settings i have to do on linux or
> on windows 2000 so that i dont get these annoying messages.
>
> I guess these are the NETBIOS packets can anyone tell me how do i stop these
> without disturbing the network, if this is not NETBIOS than please let me
> know wht this is & plz plz help me stop this ...i am unable to  use the
> command mode of linux as these annoying messages just pop in.
>

> thanks in advance

You can try the other command prompts if it doesn't bother you too much.
I think you get them if you use firestarter too, are you using that. You
can just try using Ctrl+Alt+F2 or F3, up to F6. The messages shouldn't
appear on the other terminals, if I can call them that.