Re: eth0 device not present

At 05:28 9/28/2003, you wrote:
> From: "Joe Polk" <listuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

It's a PCMCIA card and I get the problem with battery and mains :-(, but
restarting the network seemed to work wonders!

It's not related to power, just boot order.

This worked!!! Thanks! Guess this should be added to init.d or something
like that in order to get it to do this during the boot sequence. Where
exactly must I add this in?

If you want the simplest possible solution, add "service network restart" to /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

For a more elegant solution, note that services are started in order and that the network is normally assigned the number 10. I would assume it is possible to make the pcmcia service start before the network, or make the network start later after pcmcia, and this would also very simply make the problem go away. But while I know how to do it, but I do not know whether it might have any negative consequences, so better not to recommend that. Just an FYI in case you want to go figure it out.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx