Re: eth0 device not present

At 02:54 9/28/2003, you wrote:
Hi,

I've just installed rh9 onto my laptop (armada m700) and I get the
following error during the boot sequence:

Bringing up eth0: 3c59x device eth0 does not seem to be present. Delaying
intialization

It detected the ethernet card correctly (3Com 10/100 model 3CCFE575CT)
during installation.  Why is it having a problem now??

I had a card like yours and used it with no trouble

The network comes up before PCMCIA. The network tries to start, but the pcmcia service is not started so the network service cannot reach the card.

What _should_ happen is that, when the pcmcia service starts, it sees that the card is a network card and brings up that interface. If not, "service network restart" (as root) should get it to come up.

Are you hearing two beeps from the card when the pcmcia service starts, or just one?

Are you sure the card is not actually working later when the boot sequence is complete?

Also it was suggested that the kernel should be
updated. My kernel version is: 2.4.20-8

Do update your kernel. Up2date will make it easy and painless, but you can also install the new kernel RPM by hand. If you haven't done this before, or don't know how to do it, post again.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx