Dell 4600 rh9 adi 198x no sound

I've recently gotten some dell 4600's and I've been trying to get sound
to work.  Surfing the net I found posts that said "just install alsa",
"oh make sure to unmute", and "install the special alsa from Intel's site".

None of these seem to work for me.  Last night I found some postings that
implied the sound drivers I need are actually in the 2.4.22 kernel.  I'm
starting to lean in the direction that I might need to backport some of the
changes in the 2.4.22 sound system into redhat9 to actually make progress.

If anyone has gotten the integrated sound on a dell4600 to work under redhat9
it would be nice to post a definitive recipe for doing so.  Is 0.9.7 alsa
and the latest redhat9 kernel adequate to get sound to work?  Would backporting
some of the 2.4.22 code be necessary, and if so, have enough internals changed
to prohibit the attempt?

Thanks

Mark Hittinger
bugs@xxxxxx