RE: RedHat, Fedora, and the Future of Life as We Know it

-----Original Message-----
From: shrike-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:shrike-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of William Hooper
Sent: Friday, September 26, 2003 6:58 PM
To: shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: RedHat, Fedora, and the Future of Life as We Know it

Buck said:
> The ISOs have been available to anyone who subscribed to RHN for free.

> As of Monday, Red Hat removed the link to buy the $60 RHN subscription

> and thus removed the ISOs from free distribution (at least for those
> of us not subscribed).  Now, for me to get the ISOs of RHEL products,
> I have to buy a support contract for whichever product I want.

Funny, my demo account still will let me buy a Basic RHN entitlement.
IIRC downloading the "Easy ISOs" of anything has always been just for
paying subscribers.  The RHEL beta announcement backs me up:

RPM and source RPM packages for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 Beta 1 are
available via Red Hat Network to all RHN users at:

  https://rhn.redhat.com

Installable binary and source ISO images are available via Red Hat
Network to all RHN users with paid subscriptions at:

  https://rhn.redhat.com/network/software/download_isos.pxt

> I can see you being confused if you see them available, but if you do,

> you and I are on different sides of a fence.  Get 'em while you can.

The beta is still available on your favorite mirror:
http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/beta/taroon/en/iso/

Release ISO have never been freely downloadable AFAIK.

--
William Hooper

I am nor sure about being a beta tester again.  I tried that three times
on three programs.  Each time I spent hours carefully writing a report
of a problem so it could be clearly followed and the programmers locked
on one key phrase, answered it as though I didn't know what I was
talking about and ignored it.  In two cases they released the program
with the problem and fixed it after everyone's system or program crashed
in the release.  One time the programmers read what I said properly the
second time around and fixed the problem.  I don't care if someone puts
me on a kill list in this forum, they haven't asked me for anything, but
when someone asks you to report something so they can fix it, I at least
expect them to try to fix it or at least acknowledge that they are aware
of the problem.

(end rant)  sorry :(

Buck\