RE: The end of RHL for private use?

Good call!

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe [mailto:joe@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, September 26, 2003 8:07 AM
To: shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: The end of RHL for private use?

Just a few comments from a fairly typical linux geek:

I've been using redhat since 4.0, not that I haven't used other linux
distros, or other OSes for that matter. I've been  using Linux on the
desktop since slackware in 1993, and have used mac, sgi and sun boxes
on the desktop as well. These days I deploy mainly redhat servers
whenever a server is called for, and run mostly redhat desktops.
One thing that strikes me is that over the years, RHL gets better,
while the price has remained free for their iso downloads.

Now we see redhat finding a way to provide the best of both worlds - a
money making enterprise product, with full OS support, collaboration
from app vendors, and a steady, stable release cycle to let even a
stuffy old manager have the warm fuzzies about deploying linux in the
data center. On the other hand, private users get a current, modern
distro which we can download for free, and easily maintain with a
nominal membership fee in rhn, or just maintain it ourselves for free.

<rant>
I get a little weary of hearing these chicken little types automatically
assume the worst possible motives on red hat's part, and threaten us all
with tantrums about ditching linux and switching to windoze, freebsd, or
whatever. Geez guys, get a life - nobody's holding a gun to your head
to make you a redhat customer -  if you want to switch to debian,  feel
free - choice is a beautiful thing, isn't it? if ms windoze turns you
on, quit
whining and go run windoze for crying out loud -  ok buh-bye!
</rant>