Re: The end of RHL for private use? [was: Fedora vs. RHL]

Tom Diehl wrote:

There are other reasons. Weak admins is not it for big corporations. If
you truely think that is why companies plunk down big bucks for RHEL you
do not understand the problem or the market.

I could agree, but I don't!

We switched to FreeBSD which has good community support and NO COST.

The update system is good and customizing software is much easier than with RPM's.

Like most buisnesses these days the budget is tight. Why would I ask my boss to spend
$1499 for RHEL AS Standard + what ever updates and upgrades will cost after the first
year, when I can get a very reliable and maintainable sytem that is as just as good for free.

I don't need someone at RH to go and screw up the libraries mid version, like RH 8.0 did.
My company has good admins including myself who just need reliable and timely security
updates for STABLE software. When we want to upgrade to a new version of software
we will check it out on our R&D machines and will move too it when we are comfortable,
that way we know the repercussions of the move and weigh the odds in favor of our needs
not someone elses marketing strategy.

And for my Linux machine at home, why should I spend $179 + what ever for RHN and
other upgrades are going to cost?

I guess all of us desktop users should stop dealing with RH and start supporting a comunity
based linux distribution. Who know what is going on with Fedora, after the shit we have had
deal with in the last year, can we trust Red Hat to even provide the level of support they are
claiming to give to Fedora. Last year I would have said yes, now I really doubt it. The wounds
from last year had just healed and now RH is tearing new ones open. I renewed my RHN
subscription a few months ago for home, but I can't see myself stomaching much more of this
type of crap. If I wanted to run software that was breaking most of the time I would have been
using Rawhide of some kind of windows crap.

RH has gone out of it's way to alienate the people who have been advocating it for years and
gave them the chance to get where they are. Now they are sluffing us off like like were the
ones holding them back. It pisses me off, I wish I had never paid for a single box or for RHN
the last couple of years or given technical support and patches. RH should have died before
they got off the ground, if this is the way they want to act. I hope they move their software
development to india, like Microsoft, because they deserve each other.