Re: date for release of redhat 10?

On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 15:58, Glenn wrote:

> Just my two cents worth, but it seems to me Red Hat is following in the
> footsteps of many of the other publishers of Linux distributions:
> prostituting themselves by turning their backs on the home desktop and
> small office end users (who were the main support for their fledgling
> product in the early 90's) in favor of the broader enterprise market
> with the big bucks to spend; they and their overpaid CFOs with no
> accountability and no social conscience.

And when the choice is between big bucks and no bucks?

> I really am fed up with getting hooked on a desktop distribution that
> seems solid, and runs with a minimum of tweaking and tinkering, only to
> find it will no longer be available as a desktop/home/small office
> distribution (although it must be said that the tweaking and tinkering
> is what got me hooked on Linux at the outset).

That's the price you pay for being an adopter of a niche product. A lot
of people (myself included) were pretty bummed when Be Inc. went under.
Red Hat going after the big bucks now, when that's where the market is,
will put them in a stronger position down the road when there actually
is a viable home/SOHO desktop market for Linux.

> I am philosophically opposed to the dishonest business practices and
> chicanery of Gates & Co., and I choose not to use Windows XP any longer,
> even though Windows XP offers everything I need in a desktop OS, and
> worked extremely well for me.
>
> Red Hat Linux 9 offers everything I need in a desktop OS, (with only a
> few insignificant exceptions) and works extremely well for me, but...
> now you see it, now you don't?

And what is it about the Fedora Project that doesn't meet your needs?