Re: SV: date for release of redhat 10?

At 09:41 9/14/2003, you wrote:
In all honesty, from what I've heard/read, 9 wasn't a major upgrade over
8.0, but it received a major number for its release version.

Red Hat changed major numbers under their old policy any time that binary compatibility was broken between the new release and earlier releases. The NPTL (something about threads) code introdocued in RHL9 did break binary compatibility, so a major number was necessary.

Under the new policy, Red Hat has said that it will simply go by integers in the consumer version, with each release simply being "the next" release (i.e. 10, 11...). So you can expect a release roughly every six months, with a release number one greater than the last. This, at any rate, is my interpretation of it; and as far as I'm concerned, it's clear and simple.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx