dual processor, RH9, XFree86, NVIDIA

Sorry if this cross posts to any, or too many, people...I was not sure to
which list this question is most applicable...indeed, it may be that the
nvidia list is the way to go, but I have never received a reply to any
question posed to that list; so I apologize if this seems to take
advantage of your willingness to help and thank you in advance for any
info.

I have a dual processor machine running RH9.0 -- I can still successfully
use startx (NVIDIA drivers) when booting into the smp version of RH9, but
trying to boot into the single processor version, I get an XIO:fatal IO
error 14 (connection reset by peer) on Xserver ":0.0"

I was trying this mode for 2 reasons:
1. SGIs performer, I have read, sometimes will not recognize a second
processor and right now, tho with the newer version of performer (3.0.2)
the system doesn't crash, perfly still won't work -- so I thought I'd go
with one processor.  Please correct me if I am wrong about this assumption
(that smp indicates dual processors are accessed, etc)

2. There is no *gears* lib as mentioned in the NVIDIA readme, only
glxgears (which works); an ldd yeilds fewer libraries than should
exist...so I was gonna update my drivers...I thought I'd go to the one
processor first as glxgears does work and I don't know what diff
gears/glxgears.

What I would like to know is:
when booting into the non-smp mode of RH9, do I need to reconfigure the
XFree86Config file? or ;] what?

XFree86.log and log.old files are attached, but are also available at
ftp.evl.uic.edu/pub/mgolter/

Again, thanks for any info