how to setup a proxy server on Linux box

hi all ,
can anyone please guide me to configure a  proxy server on my linux box
i have an ADSL alcatel router on the netwrok and have a spare network card , which i plan to use it for setting up a proxy server on my linux box.

the rest of the network uses windows , is there any proxy server for linux, if yes wht protocols it supports, does it support hppt & pop3 as these two are my main concern , also i would like to monitor the internet connections.

thanx in advance

Best regards

Valeed