Re: X server

Hi:
      X Server is the server where the applications connect to. XClient is
the session generated by an application that wanna send X messages to a X
server. With this:

      If you wanna be able to 'see' what does an application in a remotre
computer you must say to the application where to send X protocol. In the
same way, you must tell to the X Server ( the X server running in your own
computer ) that must accept the X traffic from the remote machine where the
application runs. Think that is usually, firewalls in both machines blocks
X protocol by default.

Then:
      Suppouse that you have an 'application server' where you wanna
connect to, and you have your own Linux machine running X.
To test:

      disable firewall in both machines ( make this only if your LAN is
secure ) .
      From your X session, tell to your X server that must accept incoming
X traffic from another computers:

      From an xterminal execute : xhost +
      This will return a message saying 'Control disabled, xclient can
connect ofrom any host' or something similar.

       From the 'application server' enable XDMCP and honor indirect
petitions.

      Whit this, you have a clean way to connect to the application server.

      You can get graphical login ( the remote gdm login ) whit this set of
instructions:

      From one virtual terminal in your local machine ( and assuming that
you're running bash ):

      export DISPLAY=<your local machine ip>:1

      xinit -- -query <appication server ip> :1

      If all goes well, in a few seconds you will have in your screen the
gdm login of the application server. Login as usual and enjoy :D.

      To disconnect close session as usual, when you get the remote gdm
login again, simply kill the X server of this session with
Ctrl+Alt+Backspace. You will be returned to your own Xsession in your local
computer. You will see an xterminal, close it.

      You can jump between Xsessions with Ctrl+Alt+F<number> ( In RedHat
usually your local X session, display :0 ) is in Ctrl+Alt+F7, the next one,
display :1 is in Ctrl+Alt+F8, ans so... )

      If you are running a remote Xsession and jumps to your local session
and closes the xterminal, the remote Xsession will be killed.

      I'm working in the automation of all this process at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/rxchoose/ , has a bug and only works in
networks where ip and hostname on the computers are assigned by dhcp
server, and the hostname is declared in the DNS.

      If you are interessed, let me know and i will advice you when the
application ( a simple script ) rxchoose will be Ok ( I hope that I will be
able to do it soon ).

HTH

Regards

Dcooper41@xxxxxxx@redhat.com con fecha 16/09/2003 07:19:31 p.m.

Por favor, responda a shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx

Enviado por:      shrike-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx

Destinatarios:     shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx
CC:

Asunto:     X server

Hi All,

I have a Linux class going on right now and I am trying to find a way to
connect to the X server from the client. The documentation says x -query
hostname:1 however I get a bad command returned. I have the server set up
for Xdcmp. I seem to be missing something... Any suggestions??

Thanks,

Derek Cooper
Network Instructor Olympia Career Training Institute