Re: Another SSH Question

Maynard Kuona wrote:

If I use a program like putty to SSH into my box, how does it handle
stuff like me doing apt-get update or something like that. Does it
require that I remain connected through SSH until it is done, or can I
immediately disconnect and it will continue the commands I have given.
Or is there a way to do this.

The usual way to do this is to run "nohup apt-get ... &" This may not be enough though since it tends to leave some I/O attached to the terminal. You can do something like "nohup ... 2>&1 &" but the process is still attached to the terminal and you may still get problems when you close ssh. There is also another problem -- some programs re-enable the hang-up signal and you _still_ get problems.

My preferred solution is a program wot I wrote called "detach". Running "detach apt-get ..." is similar to "apg-get ... &" except the program is completely disassociated from the terminal and there's no way that ssh can get confused about it being attached to the session. It's not very big (1289 bytes) so I'll post it to the list if anyone wants it.

jch