Doc Savage - Hawking 2-Port Analog Modem Router (was USB Modems)

Message: 5 Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 15:37:52 -0500 (CDT)
> Subject: Re: > USB Modems
> From: <dsavage@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: <shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx>

<snip>
My home is 23,000 cable feet from the nearest telephone central
office, so DSL is not available to me. And as a DirecTV subscriber,
neither is cable modem service (yeah, I know about DirectWay: Windows
only!). I'm still using an external modem connected to a Hawking
Technologies Internet Sharing Server (model PN8228 http://www.hawkingtech.com/prodSpec.php?ProdID=100). The ISS
connects to my 10/100 Etherswitch along with four PCs, two printers,
and a SonicBlue DVR. None of those has to be configured for modem
operation. The ISS functions as a NAT gateway that auto-dials my ISP
whenever any machine tries to connect to an outside IP address. The
technology is a bit old, but it works very well. You might consider
it as an easy way for both your Dells to access your ISP
independently via modem.

Doc: Thank you very much, for the above information, about the Hawking PN8228 2-Port Analog Modem Router! We have had Cable Modem service since January 2001, but we are building a new home, farther out in the country, and there's no Cable TV and it's too far for DSL, as in your home. I'm hoping we can eventually afford Wireless Broadband (via Satellite or Radio), but I'm planning that when we move (hopefully in December), we will need to go back to Dial Up Internet service. I sent an e-mail to Hawking, last night, asking them if the PN8228 is still available and who stocks it (I couldn't find it on Buy.com or Page Computers). The .PDF file says it needs an EXTERNAL modem. Naturally, I have a new Zoom PCI INTERNAL modem that will work out of the box on Linux, sitting in a friend's house in Texas. Can you recommend a "Standard 56k external modem" that will work, out of the box, on Linux, with the Hawking PN8228? (I've never used an External Modem, but I've read they all work on Linux?).

TIA,

Lanny in Cali, Colombia, South America