Re: Printer Driver - 3rd party - how to specify it is to be used?

Message: 6 Subject: Re: Printer Driver - 3rd party - how to specify
it is to be used?
> From: Glenn <n0hn@xxxxxxxxxx>
> To: "shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx" <shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 08 Sep 2003 15:12:47 -0600

On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 11:04, Lanny Marcus wrote:

RE: Lexmark Z25-Z35 Printer Driver - how to configure Printer Configuration file(s), so 3rd party Printer Driver is used?

<snip>
Lanny:

There are a couple of things you can try. In the printer config
dialog, try several other Lexmark drivers (I am guessing, but you
could try a Z23 and something else numerically close) just to see
what kind of result you get.  Also, you can do a Google search on
Linux printing (www.linuxprinting.org????) and look for dricer
recommendations there. None of these soggestions is a sure fix, of
course - just something you can try

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Glenn - n0hn@xxxxxxxxxx

Glenn: I did try a few other drivers, from the dropdown list, but no joy. My belief is that I need to change some line(s), in one or more Printing Configuration Files, to use the 3rd party Lexmark Printer Driver that I downloaded and installed. The standard printer configuration utilities that I tried, did *NOT* seem to allow me to specify a Printer Driver that is not on the Shrike installation CDs.

If it is *NOT* possible to use a 3rd party Printer Driver on Shrike, that would be, IMHO, a *bad* failing of Shrike Printing. Red Hat is our favorite distro, so we want to solve this problem. I can't believe that it is not possible! My belief is that as a Newbie, I don't know what Printer Configuration file(s) to modify, to specify where the Printer Driver is on the hard drive.

Hopefully, someone on the list will have the solution to this problem!

I have "Running Linux, 3rd edition", and I suspect it would have a lot of data on solving printing problems. However, it was written before CUPS became the default print spooler. Possibly I should buy the latest edition of "Running Linux"!

Also, I have "Red Hat Linux 9 Bible" (Disclaimer: I wrote a Review and got a free copy of the book, but I bought the versions for 7.3 and 8.0 and will buy the version for 10); but I can't find the solution to this printing problem in the book. :-)

TNX & 73,

Lanny, HK5MDT