Re: Printer Driver - 3rd party - how to specify it is to be used?

On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 11:04, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> Hello:
>
> RE: Lexmark Z25-Z35 Printer Driver - how to configure Printer
> Configuration file(s), so 3rd party Printer Driver is used?
>
> I'm a Newbie and I believe I have done 99% of the work and properly. The
> last step(s) are a complete mystery to me. I Downloaded the Lexmark
> Printer Driver (a .tar.gz file) for the Lexmark Z25 - Z35 printers (ours
> is a Z25) on  30 August. I installed it, correctly, after installing two
> (2) RPMS, to resolve dependencies. At the end of the Lexmark  Printer
> Driver installation, I was given the option to Register or Print a Test
> Page. I selected "Test Page", but nothing happened. That's when the fun
> began.
>
> In /usr/local/lexmark/z25-z35/ is the Z35 driver
>
> Printer configuration utility and GNOME Print Manager show the
> Lexmark_Z25 (my name for the printer).
>
> kudzu detected the printer, after I connected it.
>
> It is listed as /dev/usb/lp0/Lexmark Inkjet Color Printer
>
> PROBLEM: The Printer Utilities (GUI), in their dropdown list for Lexmark
> printers, do not show an option for Z25 or Z35 printers.  Worse, I
> cannot find an option to specify where a 3rd party Printer Driver is
> located on the hard drive.
>
> QUESTION: How do I specify the 3rd party Lexmark Printer Driver is to be
> used? If someone can tell me what configuration file(s) I need to
> modify, and what I need to change, I will be very greatful!
>
> TIA, for your time and help.
>
> Lanny in Cali, Colombia
>
> P.S.
> My wife, a "Power" user of MS Word, just changed her major in the
> university. She is taking an IT course she believes will be 95% Linux.
> The printer is on her box, so I need to get it working, so she can print
> with OpenOffice.

Lanny:

There are a couple of things you can try. In the printer config dialog,
try several other Lexmark drivers (I am guessing, but you could try a
Z23 and something else numerically close) just to see what kind of
result you get.  Also, you can do a Google search on Linux printing
(www.linuxprinting.org????) and look for dricer recommendations there.
None of these soggestions is a sure fix, of course - just something you
can try

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Glenn - n0hn@xxxxxxxxxx