Re: Looking for a good incremental backup to a filesystem.

You can trust rsync.

man rsync

I just noticed this.

rsync is good, but whatever you use make sure you validate your backup.

Some years ago we had a carefully crafted policy of backups when I was at DEC (before they decided everyone should call them Digital and before they became Compaq, etc). It was a really good backup script. Every night the last one out would put a tape on the driver and we'd back up all the file systems. Once a month we'd do a full back up and the incrementals overlapped so there were always two paths through the incrementals to restore everything in case of bad tapes.

What we didn't reckon on was the buggy tape driver in Ultrix 2.0 beta ...

One day we needed a file, well, a collegue (Giles) with a careless "rm * .c" (".c not found") needed to restore a file or two. The buggy tape drive had been writing an EOT at the beginning of every tape so we had tapes full of nothing accessible.

Shortly afterwards, that afternoon I think, we modified the backup procedure to read the tape back again to make sure it was OK.

The moral of the story is check your backups just in case you ever need them.

jch

P.S. cats just loved playing with write-protect rings.