Erroneous message that there is no space left on a device

I am running RedHat 9.0, up to kernel-2.4.20-20.9 on two backup systems

I am running an older version of Arkeia on both of the backup systems to backup the unix computers in the departments. On one system the backup works fine. On the other I can get most of the systems backed up, but
the backup completes unsuccessfully because of error #5. Error 5 is

The tape is full and there are no more tapes, but I have three tapes untouched when the
backup completes.
The backup has been aborted by a user, but I did not stop the process
The flow process has been killed. The program did stop running and unmounted the
tapes correctly.

I am noticing that the system thinks that the disk partition on which the backup process resides is full.

df /knox
/dev/hdb3             12547184   4452500   7457308  38% /knox

touch /knox/temp
touch:  creating `/knox/temp':  No space left on device

I orginnally had this as a ext3 file system and was seeing the problem above. I put uninstalled the arkeia software, put a new ext2 filesystem on partition, and reinstalled the arkeia software. Ran the backup again. Same
errors.

I know that the device is good; it is a brand new disk. I have a larger partition on the same disk that
is working well.

/dev/hdb1             25600720   7226344  17073916  30% /home/httpd

I have no problem creating files on this partition.

I have unmounted the ext2 /knox directory and fsck'd it. fsck found no problems.

Any ideas has to what is happening?