Re: Erroneous message that there is no space left on a device

On 10:09 04 Sep 2003, Margaret_Doll <Margaret_Doll@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| I am noticing that the system thinks that the disk partition on which
| the backup process resides is full.
|
| df /knox
| Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
| /dev/hdb3             12547184   4452500   7457308  38% /knox
|
| touch /knox/temp
| touch:  creating `/knox/temp':  No space left on device
|
| I orginnally had this as a ext3 file system and was seeing the problem
| above.  I put uninstalled the arkeia software, put a new ext2
| filesystem on partition, and reinstalled the arkeia software.  Ran the
| backup again.  Same
| errors.
|
| I know that the device is good; it is a brand new disk.  I have a
| larger partition on the same disk that
| is working well.
|
| Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
| /dev/hdb1             25600720   7226344  17073916  30% /home/httpd
|
| I have no problem creating files on this partition.
|
| I have unmounted the ext2 /knox directory and fsck'd it.  fsck found no
| problems.
|
| Any ideas has to what is happening?

It's possible that you're out of inodes. What does "df -i /knox" say?

Every file has one inode - it stores permissions etc. You set up the
number of inodes when you make the filesystem; the default is usually
fine, but if you have an unusually large number of small files you can
use up your inodes before you run out of data space.

As I recall you can't adjust this once you've made the filesystem;
you have to make a fresh one with more inodes than the default (see
"man mke2fs").
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

What if there were no hypothetical situations?  - Jeff Sauder