Grub Bug With RAID

I guess not many people implement software RAID, then change their RAID
configurations and attempt to reinstall GRUB on the new RAID
configuration. This results in a terribly broken Grub that won't
reinstall.

For example when a disk fails and you need to replace it with the spare,
or in my case when you add a disk and change the IDE connectors the RAID
devices are on, which then prompts other changes.

This can give you superblock problems which are fixed by using
raidhotadd and letting the array reconstruct. Okay, not too bad.

But the really bad problem is with Grub. There is a 2 year old Bugzilla
out there that has never been resolved -- see #55484. If you inspect the
/sbin/grub-install script you will see that when Grub tries to determine
the root and boot drives, it parses the output of df, and in a software
RAID setup what will that output be? /dev/md0 and /dev/md1 at the least.
Grub can't handle these devices and tells you that /dev/md0 does not
have any corresponding BIOS drive.

The reason why Grub seems to work all right on an initial installation
of software RAID (via anaconda, I mean) is because anaconda does the
bootloader installation magic for you -- not Grub. Apparently the same
RAID support in anaconda was never replicated to Grub. And adding RAID
support still seems to be a to-do item with the Grub developers.

So if you are actively using software RAID and Grub, you are going to
end up flapping in the breeze if you need to change your bootloader
configuration for any reason.

Bugzilla 55484 outlines some alternatives, such as using Lilo, and
different approaches to reinstalling Grub. Some I haven't tried yet.
Duplicating comment #10 doesn't work consistently for different
configurations such as wanting to boot off Grub drive hd2.

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA