Re: Strange Network behavior

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 09:51, Ed wrote:
> I'm having long periods of network hangs for activity that goes outside
> the local firewall.  In other words, local traffic is fine, but anything
> going out to the internet through my firewall just hangs for 5 minutes
> periods, unfreezes 15-30 seconds, then freezes again for another 5
> minutes.  What in the world is going on?  During the freezes, anything
> within my network (192.168.1.0/24) works just fine.
>
> Using RH 9 on a fairly powerful machine.

For the most part, the  power of the machine is not important.  I can
flood a 100Mbps network with a single 386/16
machine; an outbound connection is probably much lower bandwidth,
so, for networking issues unless it is a heavily loaded server
power of the processor is not of a concern.

> Any ideas how to troubleshoot this?

More information would be handy.  Is the slowdown from all machines
on the local network, or just the RH9 machine?  What type of connection?
What type of firewall?  Anything else in the equation, e.g., VPN
tunnels?

If the slowdown is for all machines, the problem is on the line or in
the firewall.  So, you will need to start from there.  If the slowdown
is a single machine, then the problem is either with that machine or
something on the firewall related to that machine.   You need to
characterize the problem first - where does it occur and under what
circumstances.  Traceroutes from the firewall to an outside address,
then from >1 inside machines to the same outside address will start the
ball rolling.

- rick