Re: Quick Apache Question

Hello Ben:

I could not look at your lengthy httpd.conf file. But, let me share my
experience, which was very similar to yours.

If the same setting works as usual with the Apache version of RH7.3, it
should also work with the version of RH9.0. The problem might be your
htpasswd file; it is not world-readable, if you had used this command to
create it:

htpasswd -c /somedir/.htpasswd john

Please check the permissions of the file and if necessary, change it to
be world-readable (chmod +x /somedir/.htpasswd).

Another way to create such file is use the touch command and then, add
the allowed users inro it as usual:

touch /somedir/.htpasswd
htpasswd /somedir/.htpasswd john

Hope that helps.