Re: Stock kernel rpms

Yick

I have been having problems compiling drivers for my nvidia based video card. I submitted the results to the apropriate mailing list and they suggested I use a stock kernel because RedHat may have a patch causing my grief. I thought that I would just check to see what changes RH made to the stock 2.4.20 kernel and was floored by the number and size of the patches. I hope RH is sending their patches in so that developers don't have to develop multiple versions of software one for the regular linux kernel and the other for RH's kernel.

After seeing what is involved, it appears that the only way to make some stuf work is to convince RH to support it in their kernel.

My request would be that they help Nvidia fix their driver to compile under RH9 {it did compile under RH8} and add support for rivatv or the devices supported by rivatv {I need the SAA1708E video capture driver}.

The only way I will be able to get rivatv working is to use a stock kernel. My video card works but the Nvidia driver does hardware 3D and the standard kernel driver 'nv' doesn't.

Neil Bird wrote:

Around about 18/08/2003 15:23, Maynard Kuona typed ...

Does anyone know where I can get stock kernel rpms. I tried creating
rpms from the stock kernel but I have failed continuously.

This probably has not hope of working, but *my* first step would be a similar-ish level RH kernel SRC RPM, with all the patches deleted from the .spec. I don't *think* they ship a modified kernel tarball (but you could make sure by replacing it).

-- Guy Fraser Network Administrator The Internet Centre 780-450-6787 , 1-888-450-6787

There is a fine line between genius and lunacy, fear not, walk the
line with pride. Not all things will end up as you wanted, but you
will certainly discover things the meek and timid will miss out on.