Re: Partition question

On 17 Aug 2003, Stephen Liu wrote:

> Hi Joe,
>
> On Sun, 2003-08-17 at 17:05, Joe wrote:
>
> > >Sorry I don't understand "fully transparent to the OS"
> > >
> > Meaning the raid hardware just makes it look like a normal drive to the OS -
>
> Yes,
>
> Running DOS - cd\C: or cd\D: works
> Running Win2K - Drive-C and Drive-D both are visible
> >
> > >I have tried to install RH9.0 after having installed Win2K.  It asked
> > >where to install RH9.0, hda or hdc.  There was not hdb therefore I
> > >hesitate to proceed.
> > >
> > So rh sees a primary disk on the primary controller, and a primary disk
> > on the secondar controller - but not a secondary disk on the primary
> > controller, are you sure you have such a setup?
>
> Yes.
> There are 2 slots on the Controller and each drive is connected to each
> one slot separately.  Do you mean hda and hdc representing each drive?
> Why hdb is missing?

Because, in addition to having two slots on the controller, you can (and
usually do) have two connectors on each cable connected to those slots.

The card doesn't treat IDE disk assignments any differently than built-in,
on-the-motherboard IDE controllers do:

IDE0=first IDE "slot" or connector on the card (or motherboard, etc).
IDE1=second IDE "slot" or connector on the card (or motherboard, etc).

IDE0-Disk 1-hda
IDE0-Disk 2-hdb
IDE1-Disk 1-hdc
IDE1-Disk 2-hdd

If you were to take your "D:" drive off of the second "slot", set it to
slave, and put it on the second connector of the cable attached to the
first "slot", you'd find that you have hda and hdb, instead of hda and
hdc.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org:2000

To be notified of updates to the web site, send a message to:

site-update-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

with a message of:

subscribe