Re: System-wide PATH question

John Haxby wrote:

Andrew Robinson wrote:

This would be more general than just a pathmunge in the /etc/profile. Is the JAVA_HOME variable needed beyond this script? In other words, do applications need the JAVA_HOME variable?

Some things need JAVA_HOME -- netbeans springs to mind. Some older Java applications required JAVA_HOME to be set. I set my classpath based on JAVA_HOME as well.

The main reason for not dinking with /etc/profile and putting a separate file in /etc/profile.d is that I can re-package the Java RPM to include that file and then you get the path set up when you install Java.

Excellent points and well taken.

Andrew