Re: Please Help:Problem in Connecting to Internet

On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 04:29, Sh@xxx wrote:
> Hi people,
> I am using  Red Hat 9 on my Dell Latitude Laptop.
> I wish to connect to Internet using a Dial Up
> Connection--Modem and Telephone Line.
> I open
> System tools--Internet Configuration Wizard .In the
> Devices tab, I select a Modem Connection.
> Now, it does not detect my Modem which is a Xircom
> Ethernet Card + 56 K Modem.
> After I click on Modem Connection, it comes to
> Provider Name. Since I am in India and this
> does not has any service provider in the list, i do it
> manually.

First thing to do is to check what type of modem you have. You can do
this by cat'ing /proc/pci as below:
$ cat /proc/pci

Look at the output and find the modem, for me it looks like this:
  Bus  2, device   4, function  0:
    Communication controller: Conexant HSF 56k HSFi Modem (rev 1).
      IRQ 5.
      Master Capable.  Latency=64.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xd0200000 [0xd020ffff].
      I/O at 0x3000 [0x3007].

If you have a Conexant HSF or HCF modem, you should be able to use the
Linux drivers at http://www.linuxant.com. They have drivers for RH9 with
the stock kernels, and they installation is fairly simple (even if you
have to use the "hard way" by using the tarball they have there).

I have found the drivers to be stable and have enabled me to
successfully use my winmodem under linux.

Cheers,
Josh