Re: Novell buys Ximian

Quoting Joe <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> Oracle recommends linux to their customers, and their database indeed
> runs well on linux - both of which earn them a lot of points in my book.
> With so many violent enemies as linux has, we don't want to waste too
> much time criticising companies like oracle, who are at least somewhat
> friendly.

I just went to an "Oracle Technology Day" to get more info and to evaluate
whether or not I want to do my next project on Oracle 9 as my bosses are
requesting (but not demanding).

They spent literally the entire day saying "Oracle makes Linux unbreakable"
and simultaneously explaining why Oracle is the best database and Linux is
the best OS. I heard nothing but praise and evangelism of Linux, and hours
of it at that.

AFAIAC,  if Oracle simply keeps doing what it's going (moving _all_ its
software and services to Linux, even internally) and promotes the bejeezus
out of Linux in the process, then by God I approve of them. Not all software
_has_ to be open-source; they are entitled to keep their stuff closed but to
also cooperate and collaborate with the rest of us.

Rodolfo