Finding Red Hat slownesses, was: New beta release notes...

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 09:32:41 at 09:32:41AM -0500, Aaron Konstam (akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> > Well, RULE indeed proved exactly that point. Thanks to Michael Fratoni
> > for slinky (8 MB of RAM) and the kdrive RPMs, see the RULE website.

Mandatory clarification: I was referring to the installer being the
bottleneck, not to the requirements being more relaxed now. See also
Ed Bailey comments.

[snip]

> If someone has an idea what hidden programs run when you install
> everything that slow down the machine significantly please let me
> know.

Well, the RULE project was started just to find out this, ie how to
tune a Red Hat install to make the system faster. I am very interested
in what you noticed. Without looking at your machines, I'd assume that
at least part of the problem is a combination of:

1) pure hardware differences, from different hard disk speeds to
different video cards leading to differently optimized. You should try
to install exactly the two configurations on the same machine to know
what's happening

2) The more complete install leading to some weird combination of
window manager and multy-byte fonts support that the other system has
not.

Why don't you compare the top output on the two machines, as well as
the output of "rpm -qa" and the locale settings? Let us know!

Ciao,
		Marco Fioretti

--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a
vacuum.                                        -- Arthur C. Clarke