Re: New beta release notes-additional query.

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 07:25:15AM +0200, M. Fioretti wrote:

> > > Tighter code (fewer patches)?  Dropped apps or features?  Typo?  ;-)
> > >
> > > dmc
> >
> > More likely the result of the installer (anaconda) changes.  Red Hat
> > itself can run on lower spec machines, but the installer drives the
> > "minimum requirements" (see the RULE project).
> >

> Well, RULE indeed proved exactly that point. Thanks to Michael Fratoni
> for slinky (8 MB of RAM) and the kdrive RPMs, see the RULE website.

That would be a good theory but in my machine which already has RH 9
installed (no anaconda involved at this point) the machine barely
operates with 128M of RAM and only works in a minimally acceptable
way with 256M of RAM. It is a 500MHZ Pentium III with everything
installed.
On the other hand at home my Pentium II , 500 MHZ with only the
things I really need installed (but I have both Gnome and KDE various
servers, etc.) runs fairly well with 128M of Memory. It's a mystery.

If someone has an idea what hidden programs run when you install
everything that slow down the machine significantly please let me
know.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University