Re: Disk Mirroring

Joe Klemmer said:
> On Sat, 2003-07-26 at 09:07, Andrew Smith wrote:
>
>> You would, however, normally do this with dd.
>>
>> dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb bs=512

For what someone else asked ... bs=512 is to ensure
the actual data is sized to match a disk block boundary
and reads are block size related

> I ran across this one a long time ago and it has worked well for me.
>
> find . -print | cpio -0pduma <destination>
>
> You could mount the new drive and run this from / on the old one.  I
> udes this a number of times to copy disk content.  One advantage to this
> is that you don't need identical drives.  You can mirror the content of
> a 10 gig to a 40 gig with it.

Yeah - but I've always been paranoid about /dev and /proc
coz I don't 100% understand the effect of copying them
and restoring them as files (or does cpio handle them
automatically?)
My file backup procedures always ignore /tmp /dev & /proc
Maybe one day I should read up and understand it properly :-)

As for the dd command - on a system where you want to 'ghost'
a hard drive (for backup or duplication) dd is very easy
I guess it should work if the restore disk is larger also -
but then of course you will have unused space to configure
with e.g. fdisk, or expand into with something like parted
(depends on the partition ording and where swap is - but
you can usually solve that pretty easily)

Though - of course - you should only do it to a disk that
does not have ANY partitions mounted
My version of this is to put the drive into another computer
- I like at least 1 removable rack in most of my computers :-)
Or you can do it with a 'complete linux on a floppy' or using
the recovery process or a linux on CD
i.e. boot off anything but the hard drive you want to ghost
and ensure you can unmount any partitions that are on that
hard drive

--
-Cheers
-Andrew

MS ... if only he hadn't been hang gliding!