Re: How to statically assign eth devices?

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Brian Johnson wrote:

> I think a modified version will work for you
>
> If you have a wifi card that uses the orinoco_cs driver for instance, you can use
> alias eth0 orinoco_cs or eth1 or whatever you want it to be
>
> And use the same logic for your other nics
>
> You only run into problems if you insert multiple nics that use the same driver
> where you want different configs (for that you have to look into profiles).
>
> For example, I also have an alias eth1 orinoco_cs in my /etc/modules.conf .. so if I
> use ANY wifi card that uses the orinoco_cs driver, it will be eth1.  A second
> matching wifi card would then be eth2 and so on (but realistically most users
> wouldn't have more than two or three nics)

Hmm.. I just tried the following:

1. remove network card drivers (e100 - pci wired, wvlan_cs - pcmcia wireless)

rmmod wvlan_cs
rmmod e100

2. add the following entries to modules.conf

alias eth0 wvlan_cs
alias eth1 e100

3. insert the drivers in the wrong order

insmod e100
insmod wvlan_cs

4. now e100 is eth0, and wvlan_cs is eth1. The assignment
is in the order of detection - irrespective of the entry in modules.conf

Satish