Re: smbmount always comes up read only

Around about 23/07/2003 17:37, Brian Ashe typed ...
What is the user that the shares are being mounted as? Are the permissions for root or for the user you are logged in as?

I've created an all-access /mnt/smb. In there are a dir. per user, named after the user, and accessible only /by/ the user. E.g., /mnt/smb/nabird.

I have a 'samba-login' script which asks for the user's Doze password, puts it in a temp. file in the user home dir., sets the env. var. that smbmount uses, then calls 'sudo samba-mount' [config'd to be runnable for listed users with no passwd], a script that does some sanity checking and mounts the requested SMB device to /mnt/smb/user/name.

This way, everyone on the box gets to have access to their desired SMB drives, as them, with no-one else being able to get at the drives 'as' them. IYSWIM.

I.e., smbmount is running as root (args. as previously posted).

--
[neil@xxx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil@xxx ~]# ls -l .signature