Re: Shrike download of Red Hat 9.0 is a mess

On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 01:05, Sherwin Dubren wrote:
> Hi,
>   I don't pretend to be a Unix guru, but I have used it to some extent
> in
> my 30 some years of professional programming.  I had previously
> installed
> Red Hat 7.3 from a mirror site with no problems.  Suddenly I see a new
> file type called 'iso' for downloading from several different mirror
> sites.

So far as I know, RedHat has been providing ISO images of their install
CDs for years, even back to RedHat 5.2 and before.  ISO's are simply
standard images of CD's in ISO9660 format, which, again, is standard and
the way it has been done as long as I can remember.

> The comments described them as file for 'Easy CD Creator'.  I
> tried running my copy of md5sum.exe on the hard drive images, but got
> nothing but failures.  I them looked for a fresh copy of md5sum.exe on
> Red Hat's site.  They directed me to a page where I did not see the file
> md5sum.exe (deliberate maybe?).

Hardly.  md5sum is a standard unix utility.  As you found, there are
windows versions of md5sum available out there.

> I browsed the net and found a 3rd party
> site where I was able to find a working md5sum.exe and all my files
> passed
> the checksum.
>    The files are self extracting and they called my Easy CD Creator,
> version 5.x to burn them on my Plextor PX-w 2410A, the same drive I had
> used to burn Linux 7.3.

Umm, iso files are not self-extracting.  In windows, EZ CDCreator simply
associated the .iso file extension with itself, allowing you to burn cds
simply by clicking the iso file.

> Unfortunately, the transferred file came out as
> one big iso file.  The the auto extraction, there was no opportunity to
> change settings, but I assumed Easy CD would adapt properly.

There is nothing to set.  An iso is a disk image.  It gets burned to a
CD in its entirety.

> I found a
> site 'www.petri.co.il' with a howto on writing iso files.  They
> recommended either Easy CD Creator or Nero.  I tried running it in Nero
> and there you are asked to specify and iso file transfer, and that
> option
> is defaulted to 'folders'.  The Nero worked fine and I had 3 CDROMS's
> with
> the folder structure required for installation of Linux.  They also
> mention that sometimes the hardware of the CDROM will not burn the iso's
> properly.  My Plextor seemed to work just well enough to give me a
> working
> copy.  I don't know why Red Hat switched to iso's (supposed to handle
> Unix
> long names better), but the older method in 7.3 worked just fine.  It
> took

I have no idea what you're talking about.  RedHat 7.3 was distributed in
iso form as well.

> a lot of digging to get the iso's to work, and the documentation for
> this
> is either missing or scattered around various sites, including Red Hat.
> I think Red Hat just wants to make life difficult, so people will buy
> their install package, although not seeing it, it could be just as
> confusing as the downloaded version.

Um, I just download the images and burn them to CDs and boot off the
first CD.

>     On another topic, which is somewhat off topic for this forum, I had
> trouble installing the LILO on my Windows 2000 machine so that I could
> do
> a dual boot to both Windows and Linux, the later using a boot loader on
> my Linux partition.  The graphical loader interface gives you all kinds
> of
> options to configure the boot loader, including updating (my case as an
> update to my 7.3), leaving unchanged, or installing either LILO or their
> new boot loader GRUB.

Have it install grub.  Grub is perfectly capable of chain-loading the
windows 2000 boot loader.  Just make sure grub is installed to the boot
partition of the device, rather than the partition itself.

By doing lilo the way you did it, every time you made a change to lilo's
configuration or installed a new kernel (or upgraded linux), you would
have to rewrite lilo. grab a new copy of the first 512 bytes of whatever
partition lilo wrote itself too, and then copy it over to the windows
partition overtop of your bootsect.lnx file.  So don't mess with LILO.
It's deprecated anyway.  Grub works great on most hardware.

> I tried all the options, but couldn't get the
> Windows loader to get me into LINUX.  It's a good thing I have a friend
> who has had recent Unix experience with boot loaders having this same
> problem.  I scoured the Howto's and Docs with no answers, but he had a
> solution which involved creating a bootsect.lnx file in Linux and
> copying
> it to the bootsect.lnx file on Windows in the C: folder.

This is an old method of making linux boot from the windows boot
loader.  In my experience this is no longer necessary as grub can boot
the windows boot loader just fine.  Of course make a boot floppy during
the install, just in case you can't get the loader to work properly
right off.

>   Red Hat has a long way to go to making their installers work and
> properly documenting these new versions.

RedHat has come tremendously far.  The installation procedure (even the
installation in a dual-boot arrangement with  windows 2000/xp) has been
documented very well in the "gettng started" documentation that RedHat
published with their boxed-sets, and that is available online at their
web set.

I hope this helps.  Frankly I'm a little confused as I read your
e-mail.  How did you manage to get redhat 7.3 running in the first place
if you never used iso images burned to CDs, or knew about booting the
CD?

Personally I find RedHat's install and general setup to be superb, and
very smooth.  Installing RH9 is a joy compared to Win2000 (which can
take a couple of hours, to bring completely online and up to date), and
pretty smooth compared to XP's installer.

Michael

--
Michael Torrie <torriem@xxxxxxxxxxxx>