Re: Shrike download of Red Hat 9.0 is a mess

On Wednesday 23 July 2003 02:21, Michael Torrie wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 01:05, Sherwin Dubren wrote:
> > Hi,
> >   I don't pretend to be a Unix guru, but I have used it to some extent
> > in
> > my 30 some years of professional programming.  I had previously
> > installed
> > Red Hat 7.3 from a mirror site with no problems.  Suddenly I see a new
> > file type called 'iso' for downloading from several different mirror
> > sites.
>
> So far as I know, RedHat has been providing ISO images of their install
> CDs for years, even back to RedHat 5.2 and before.  ISO's are simply
> standard images of CD's in ISO9660 format, which, again, is standard and
> the way it has been done as long as I can remember.
>
> > The comments described them as file for 'Easy CD Creator'.  I
> > tried running my copy of md5sum.exe on the hard drive images, but got
> > nothing but failures.  I them looked for a fresh copy of md5sum.exe on
> > Red Hat's site.  They directed me to a page where I did not see the file
> > md5sum.exe (deliberate maybe?).
>
> Hardly.  md5sum is a standard unix utility.  As you found, there are
> windows versions of md5sum available out there.
>
> > I browsed the net and found a 3rd party
> > site where I was able to find a working md5sum.exe and all my files
> > passed
> > the checksum.
> >    The files are self extracting and they called my Easy CD Creator,
> > version 5.x to burn them on my Plextor PX-w 2410A, the same drive I had
> > used to burn Linux 7.3.
>
> Umm, iso files are not self-extracting.  In windows, EZ CDCreator simply
> associated the .iso file extension with itself, allowing you to burn cds
> simply by clicking the iso file.
>
> > Unfortunately, the transferred file came out as
> > one big iso file.  The the auto extraction, there was no opportunity to
> > change settings, but I assumed Easy CD would adapt properly.
>
> There is nothing to set.  An iso is a disk image.  It gets burned to a
> CD in its entirety.

Not to butt in, but there are versions of EZCDC which don't support ISO's, and
the ones that do usually require you to specifically tell it that you're
using an ISO.  Otherwise the ISO itself burns to CD.  I had a friend download
one of the version 7's for me and that's the way I got them.

The same goes for Nero.  It depends as much as anything else whether you have
the version that comes bundled with the burner or the retail version.

Joebewan