Re: New beta "severn"?

On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 10:14, Audioslave - 7M3 - Live wrote:
> Back to the athlon being such a used processor. What makes the processor
> not to be able to deal with i686 instructions? And why does it include
> i386 compatible instructions?

The Athlon is able to deal with i686 instructions, I think - RH packages
are compiled optimised for i686 but using only the i486 (not i386)
instruction set to ensure compatibility on 486s and Pentiums.

Compiling with -mcpu=i586 is *bad* because the Pentium is considered
broken in requiring special instruction orderings that would actually
slow down execution on other CPUs. That being said, -march=i586 might be
safe - Mandrake does it, as does Gentoo, if I recall, but I wonder if
there is much advantage to it.

The only Athlon-specific bug Red Hat had was when one of the Athlon
chips was first introduced - can't remember which one, I think it's the
second-generation chip - and a replacement boot floppy was issued within
a week.

> MMX seemed useless for my machine. PII optimization seemed useful. I
> might be able to get on a P4 to see how buggy it is or how much better
> the programs run. It is a Dell computer.

MMX is a vector instruction set. Recompiling a non-MMX-aware program
with MMX optimisation would not achieve anything.

Regards,

Michel